Sarah's 2¢: Between the Secrets by S. Ferguson



Sometimes the past won’t let you escape no matter how much your future wants you to.

Jake James lives in the shadows of his shame. The guilt for what he’s done, for what was done to him, has left him hollow and haunted.

Greg Bissen just wants Jake to let him in, having accepted who he is a long time ago, he is desperate to break through Jake's defenses. 

When danger and an agonizing loss threatens to tear them apart, will Jake let the burdens of his past crush him?

Or can love really conquer all, even if it’s hiding in between the secrets? 

This book contains strong adult content that may not be suitable for readers sensitive to hard to read subjects.





     

    




   


Between the Secrets is S. Ferguson's second release and first venture into M/M territory. It reads as a standalone, but from experience I advise reading book one Something There In Between. The characters interconnect and the story goes on from book one and as someone who hasn't read it, I felt a little lost. 

Between the Secrets follows the lives of Jake and Greg. They're best friends and coworkers for the local mob boss. They're basically his muscle, taking care of orders and people when the time arises. 

Greg has always had feelings for Jake. He's kept them bottled up for years until finally his resolve breaks and shows him that their attraction is undeniable. 

Jake is your typical straight guy. He screws any woman that moves and doesn't look back as well as drinks way more than he should. He's got horrible memories from a traumatic childhood. He knows he's got some feelings for Greg, but with never having a relationship with another man, he doesn't know how to proceed. 

I enjoyed Between the Secrets. It's not your typical M/M gfy (gay for you) book with its dark undertones. I guess I wasn't expecting darkness, if I'm being honest. I didn't read S. Ferguson's first book because of the subject matter, and didn't really take into account what might be talked about in this book. Jake and Greg's friendship was easy, the secondary characters were great too. I guess I just didn't personally connect with the characters as I have no experience with their line of work and I felt kind of pushed into their story. There wasn't enough character development for me. 

I'm sure I'm the odd man out, with my opinion of Between the Secrets. With that being said S. Ferguson's writing was fantastic considering she's still a newbie and I look forward to reading more from her in the future. 


No comments

Back to Top