Lauren's 2¢: GRAVITY by Lauren Runow

Gravity is not your normal, sweet romance of childhood friends to lovers. Spanning over twenty years—it’s raw, it’s real, asking the question if soul mates really exist.

Lily
At eight years old, the boy next door changed my life. He was the force pulling me toward him despite our differences. It was like magic.
We understood each other, supported each other and in the process became everything to each other.
But in chasing Trevin’s dream, I lost myself along the way.

Trevin
Through tremendous heartache, she was there. Through fame and fortune, she was there. Loving Lily was the one thing I got right.
Eclipsing her in my shadow, I took from her until she was empty. Now I must do anything to prove I can be the man she wants, no, the man she deserves.
Releases January 24, 2017



Most people would probably describe Gravity as a roller coaster ride. Truth be told, it’s more like a free-fall. You know that feeling? The one where your stomach firmly plants itself in your throat? That dreaded the-other-shoe-is-about-to-drop feeling? I had that for a good 99% of the book. And. I. Loved it. I’m a little concerned about my mental health…

I think it’s important to start off this review off by warning all you potential readers: This is not your typical love story. It’s a heart-wrenching, upsetting, throw your kindle at the nearest wall (or possibly person – more likely of the male variety) type of read. You’ll likely hate Trevin for a good deal of the book. Hell, I did. The man makes some ridiculously stupid decisions. Occasionally you’ll feel the need to flick Lily between the eyes. She puts up with waaaaay more than she should. But rest assured, she wakes up and realizes that if she takes much more, she will probably lose her gosh-darn mind (along with the rest of us.)

“The gravity we joke about, the undeniable pull, the reason people don’t understand it – they’ve never experienced it.”

Gravity spans (a short) life time, so be prepared to travel through life with these two dysfunctional love birds. They take more twists and turns than a curly fry. If we’re using rides as an example, I’d venture to say they’re more like teacups, spinning round and round until someone throws up and demands to get off.

The only thing I really took issue with was the drug use. No, it's not what you think. I realize that if we're discussing rock stars, chances are they're shooting, snorting or smoking something. Way to sling those stereotypes, Lauren. It's not the initial drug use I have a problem with. (Well...) It's the fact that it seemed so easy for Trevin to pick up and put down. Drugs are serious business. Many times you either kick them or they cause you to kick the bucket. A little struggle in that department would have been nice. And maybe so anger at his use from Lily. 


This was my first rendezvous with Lauren Runow, and it won’t be my last. Gravity was a well-thought out, engaging, entertaining look into the lives of two imperfect people who can't help but be drawn to one another. It’s gritty and frequently hard to read, but the ending is worth the splintering your heart incurs. 


No comments

Back to Top