Reni's Review: THE TALENTED MR. MAXWELL by Julia Harlow

The Talented Mr. Maxwell
Dorrie Applegate just stumbled into a career-launching opportunity. The small-town Kentucky girl landed a gem of a position at Omni Publishing in New York City. Her first major assignment—writing a biography of one of the most sought-after male models in the world.

Grant Maxwell is at the apex of his career. Unfortunately the end of his run looms before him. At thirty-four, scores of younger, hungrier models nip at his heels, vying for his spot at the pinnacle of the fashion realm. And he has no earthly idea what to do next.

In the midst of an unlikely and tumultuous love affair with Grant, Dorrie is suddenly forced into making an agonizing decision. It’s a decision that shatters Grant’s heart.

Step onto the volatile runway of fashion modeling packed to the hilt with clashing egos, impossibly gorgeous men, backstabbing, and biting jealousy. And caught in the snare of the dramatic intrigue? Dorrie Applegate and Grant Maxwell





       

What the hell, Julia Harlow!

 photo IMG_2584_zpsnanm3jvb.png

The Talented Mr. Maxwell is that kind of book. Trust me on this one. I read it over a week ago and still can’t seem to wrap my head around it.

Dorrie Applegate is assigned to write the biography of a very well-known male model, Grant Maxwell. While on a plane ride to London, Dorrie meets a strikingly handsome man named Henry. (How she doesn’t realize the man is Grant Maxwell, I’ll never know…) They have an enchanting evening out, complete with big O’s for everyone. When Dorrie finds out just who she spent the evening with, she’s pissed. I would be, too. She packs up her belongings and flies home to the good ol’ U.S. of A. But guess what? Grant has other ideas, and eventually Dorrie finds her way back into Grant’s presence.

During their time together, Dorrie and Grant develop a relationship of sorts. It’s complex and requires lots of secret sexy rendezvous. But someone has it out for them, specifically Grant, and eventually they’re torn apart.

My days are colorless and drab without you. You are the love of my life, my best friend, my soul mate.

Listen, this book is CRAZY. The situations these two characters find themselves in… God, I don’t even know what to say about them. You should know that there are triggers that may cause some readers to feel very uncomfortable. If you enjoy hot sex, manipulation, liars, blackmail, suspense, and angst (along with various other subjects) this may be a good match for you.

This third person read wasn’t AT ALL what I expected it to be. I really enjoyed Julia’s writing, and while I feel she could have used additional editing, it was well executed and kept me engaged and entertained. Again, this book isn’t for everyone. If you’re sensitive to certain controversial topics, I’d probably steer clear of this read.  



No comments

Back to Top