Readers, Bloggers, and Authors Need to Take Action!



You may or may not be aware of what's going on with Amazon and reviews. Apparently if you are friends or friendly with an author (know them personally,) you no longer get a say as far as reviews are concerned. Did you just make a "what the fuck" face? I've made a few of them this morning. 

What determines knowing someone personally, you ask? Good question.

Better yet, WHERE DO THEY GET THE INFORMATION FROM?!

When I contacted an Amazon employee earlier today, he said, and I quote:

"The method that we use to determine strangers, although proprietary so I cannot discuss it, is entirely legal and also, like the rest of Amazon, we scrupulously guard your privacy."

Wasn't that a lovely way to skip around an answer? I'm assuming it's through social media. NEWS FLASH: I don't KNOW most to the people in the book community outside of my computer screen. Social media does not equal friendship. It's true. I've met Sarah in real life. We're friends. I know her personally, but there are others in the "book world" that I have never laid eyes on outside of pictures posted on Facebook or Instagram. I don't chat with them on a regular basis. I don't know what their favorite food is, shoe size, birth date. And they're even holding people like your neighbors against you. I DON'T EVEN TALK TO MY NEIGHBORS. Yeah, I'm one of those people. So sue me. 

My point? Amazon is out of control. We can do something to make a difference. Maybe...

There is a petition circulating around to stop this ridiculous "friends with authors" nonsense. It's not the only problem I currently have with Amazon, but it's a start. 

To see/sign this petition - CLICK HERE!  




No comments

Back to Top