THE DESIGN (A Heart Novel) by R.S. Grey Release Day Blitz: Excerpt + Sarah's Review





 
Five minutes until the interview begins.  
Fresh on the heels of her college graduation, Cameron Heart has landed an interview at a prestigious architecture firm.

Four minutes until the interview. She knows she’s only there because the owner, Grayson Cole, is her older sister’s friend.

Three minutes. For the last seven years, Grayson has been the most intimidating man Cammie has ever had the pleasure, or displeasure, of being around.

Two Minutes. But the job opportunity is too good to pass up. So, Cammie will have to ignore the fact that Grayson is handsome enough to have his own national holiday. 

One. After all, she shouldn’t feel that way about her new boss. And, he will be her new boss.

“I’m not scared of you,” I said with a confident smile. “Perhaps we should fix that, Ms. Heart. Close the door.”









I paused just outside of the front doors and took a deep breath, trying to get my bearings. I was twenty minutes early for my interview. My outfit was still wrinkle-free. My pad-folio was filled with extra copies of my resume and reference letters, and I’d rehearsed every possible question that Grayson Cole would ask:
Greatest weakness? My inability to settle for anything less than what I deserve. I’m stubborn and persistent.
The honest answer? My inability to overcome my schoolgirl crush on you even though you’re a self-righteous ass.

I would NOT be giving him the honest answer.


Cammie Heart is fresh out of college and hoping to land a dream job with a prestigious architectural firm in LA, the only hitch is that it's CEO is one of her sisters best friends.  Cammie has crushed on Grayson for the last five years, and he hasn't done anything but scowl at her presence.  This will be interesting.

“He morphed into the perfect hero in my mind.  He was the Mr. Darcy to my Elizabeth Bennett, the Prince Charming to my Cinderella, and most importantly, the Ron Weasley to my Hermoine Granger.”

Grayson Cole is a high-powered architectural CEO and decides to hire Cammie for her first job after college.  He needs to deny his true feelings for Cammie so he can keep his professional stature just that.  Grayson has been keeping a secret from Cammie for the last five years and he's got no idea how she'll take it when she finds out what's really been going on.

The Design can be read as a standalone (as I read it) or as a sequel to The Duet which focuses on Brooklyn, Cammie's older sister.  At first, Cammie seemed a little too whiney, little sister for me.  As the story progressed, she transformed into a quick-whitted, sarcastic, strong heroine who knows what she wants in the future.  I really wish we had Grayson's POV in this book, however.  For some reason, I just felt like I wanted to know more about his character and why he truly did what he did for Cammie all those years (The Design 1.5 maybe?). 

After loving Scoring Wilder from R.S. Grey, I knew I'd enjoy more from her, and I did.  The Design was light-hearted and lovely.  I did spot a pretty big error in the prologue which the author assured me would be edited before final publish.  The Design was a quick read and now I find myself wanting to read The Duet to know all about Cammie's older sister.  Proceed with zero caution, as this book is as funny, sweet and light-hearted as they come.






I am a lover of books, chocolate, reality TV, black labs, and cold weather. Seriously, if I had it my way, I would be curled up on the couch with all of those things... everyday.I live in Texas where I spend my free time writing and reading. My favorite authors include Mindy Kaling & Jonathan Safran Foer. I'm a comedy geek and love all things "funny". Women like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Mindy Kaling are definitely the biggest inspirations for my writing, though I think my work tends to skew a bit smuttier than theirs.Facebook | Twitter | Website| Goodreads

No comments

Back to Top