Reni's Review! The Real Thing by Cassie Mae!


The Real Thing
by Cassie Mae
Coming August 2014

When I Read it: June 2014
Genre: New Adult
 Pages: 240

Pre-order from Amazon - Click HERE

Pre-order from B&N - Click HERE!

Add to Goodreads - Click HERE!




In this electrifying novel from Cassie Mae, two close friends surprise themselves by shifting from platonic love to sexual attraction.

Eric Matua has one friend—his best friend and childhood sweetheart, who needs a place to stay for the summer. Mia Johnson has thousands of friends—who live in her computer. Along with her email chats and Facebook notifications, Mia also devours romance novels, spending countless hours with fictional characters, dreaming of her own Romeo to sweep her off her feet. When she starts receiving supersweet messages from a stranger who thinks she’s someone else, Mia begins to believe that real love is possible outside her virtual world.


When the two friends become roommates, Mia finds herself falling harder than she ever thought she could. But Eric keeps his desires locked away, unsure of himself and his ability to give his best friend what she deserves in a boyfriend. As her advances are continually spurned, Mia splits her time between Eric and her computer. But she soon realizes she’s about to lose the only real thing she’s ever had.






When I think of The Real Thing, two words keep popping up - Thank you.
Thank you, Cassie Mae, for writing about a GUY with self-esteem/body issues. Thank you for tackling a girl who’s glued to technology. Thank you for making them best friends destined for more. Just, THANK YOU.

Eric
(I’m not even going to attempt his Samoan name) has some pretty severe body image issues, along with an unhealthy dose of anxiety. I’m convinced that your HS years can either make you or break you. In Eric’s case they broke him. Into a lot of tiny pieces.  When you’re constantly told you’re too fat, not experienced enough, and touch your girlfriend the wrong way, you’re bound to develop some pretty nasty thoughts about yourself.

Mia
is great. Seriously. If she weren’t a literary character we’d totally be friends.  She’s bubbly, thoughtful, witty and pretty level headed. Her one downfall? She’s butt buddies with her laptop, phone and kindle. She spends a good deal of time on her electronic devices in order to stay connected to the people she loves, but what happens when the things that once kept you close begin to tear you apart?

This book made me feel super guilty. Ugh. I spend way too much time on social media, or with my nose glued to my kindle. Waaaaay too much time. Thanks for the reality check, Mia. It’s rough to break the habit. Completely addicting. Mia’s relationship with Eric begins to suffer because of her constant need to check her phone for emails, Facebook status updates and tweets. I still don’t get twitter. There may be hope for me yet. It’s funny how the one thing that kept her connected to Eric over the years is the same thing that threatens to tear them apart. Let’s just say that the storyline hit close to home.  A little too close.

I wanted to hug Eric; just scoop him up and smush the ever loving crap out of him. No one should ever feel like they’re not enough. Again, hits too close to home. I just… It’s not… I hate his ex. Hate is a strong word, and I mean it. H-A-T-E. No one should have the ability to make you feel like you’re less than amazing. It’s just…wrong.

“People change, you know. They grow, they shrink, they bald, they get zits, they wrinkle. But each person is attractive in their own way, and they’re attractive to someone else.” She stops, takes a deep breath, and lets it all out through full lips that I can’t stop looking at. “No matter how much you change out here” – she motions to, well, all of me – “I’ll always find you attractive because of the person you are in here.” Her finger reaches out and pokes me lightly in the chest… at first. Then she heightens the pressure until I’m laughing, saying ouch, and rubbing the sore spot.

 Anytime I pick up a Cassie Mae/Becca Ann novel I know it’ll blow me away. These are more than characters. This is more than plot, setting and storyline. Each novel is a lesson wrapped in pretty words. They teach us to see beyond a person’s physical appearance (good or bad) and social standing to the person beneath. I love that. I love her. I just love…everything.

Add The Real Thing to your TBR list. It’s a fun, fast read – great for a lazy summer day.




2 comments

Unknown said...

This book had the same effect on me. Thanks for the reality check, Mia! I have been making a conscious effort to pay more attention to my husband and if he asks me to do something with him, like watch a movie, I try to always do it.

Unknown said...

That's awesome! Same here! I love that it was a wake-up call to us both. It's tough when the world of fiction (and social networking) is calling your name. ;)

Back to Top